Friday, April 11, 2008

Our First Camping Adventure

We attempted our first family camping trip with the Fustes' this weekend at North Padre Island and it didn't quite go as smoothly as we hoped. It was comical how badly things actually went! To recap:
6:00pm: Fustes' arrive and set up camp for everyone (Sam had to work late, so we couldn't get there before dark.)
11:00pm: We arrive and get the kids in the tents we had borrowed. (Sam and Jacob slept in one and Claire and I were in the other.) We were surprised at how windy it was. (25 mph!)
12:30am: Claire finally falls back asleep - she was pretty excited because it was her first time to not be in a crib or a pack 'n play.
2:30am: Wind is SO loud, I can't sleep and am worried about Sam and Jacob. Peek out to make sure their tent hasn't blown away. See Carson walking to the car w/ Enzo - who has been waking up crying with each loud gust of wind.
4:00am: Sam brings Jacob to my tent because theirs has completely collapsed. He rolls up the tent and goes in the car to sleep. Both kids are up and Claire's excited to see Jacob has joined the slumber party.
4:30am: Kids finally go to sleep after I move in-between them to keep them from giggling.
6:00am: I wake up to extreme vertigo/dizziness/nausea. I had been feeling queasy the past couple of days and being in that tent felt like I was sea-sick. The tent was shaking, stuffy and noisy. I rush outside, get sick to my stomach - everything is spinning. I make it to our car, get Sam to go to the tent because the kids are awake again (and never go back to sleep.) I get sick again and then fall asleep in the car.
7:00am: Sun is up! Everyone's up! Kids are so happy to be at the beach and running around the campsite. Wind is miserable. Parents are miserable.
7:30am: We make a quick breakfast with everyone's plate blowing away at least once. Start packing up - we are NOT staying here another night!
9:00am: Take obligatory walk on the beach (filled with seaweed, manowars and not a shell to be found).
10:00am: Pack up everything and head to Corpus. Eat lunch in Corpus, spend an hour at the beach at Corpus Christi Bay, head back home.
It was a disappointing trip, but the kids had a BLAST, which made all the difference! Next time, we'll try something a little closer and not on the beach!
This picture is Claire, Mercer and Jacob enjoying a morning snack in the car - the ONLY place to get away from the wind!

No comments: